Education and Homeschool Support
TheraThrive offers both education and homeschool support. Our consultants really get the learning differences in the gifted and highly sensitive populations, including the differences in children who are twice-exceptional (2e), where they are both gifted and challenged in some way, such as with a learning difference like Dyslexia. Education and/or homeschool support can include attending school meetings, personalized curriculum plans, tutor referrals, and other resources.
Many parents, teachers and school administrators do not understand gifted development, the traits and challenges of giftedness, how these challenges might look in the classroom, and how to support a gifted child who also has learning challenges (2e).
Our goal is to support you such that your child has an educational experience that promotes growth, learning and well-being. We support parents, teachers and school administrators to understand the unique learning, social and emotional differences of your gifted and/or highly sensitive child or teen.
We tailor our support to your specific needs. For example, we might offer information about giftedness and high sensitivity, we might help with understanding of assessment results, or we might offer teachers insight and a few tools for managing disruptive classroom behaviors, or whatever the situation calls for.
Depending on the need, we might speak with a teacher over the phone, write a report or a bulleted list of recommendations, meet with school staff or join a parent conference, observe the child in the classroom and playground, or attend an Individualized Education Plan meeting (IEP) or 504 Plan meeting.
Parenting gifted children is usually no piece of cake, and many families decide to homeschool because their gifted and/or highly sensitive children who are misunderstood or just simply do not fit into an educational system that focuses on standards and norms that just do not match up.
Gifted homeschoolers are a rising population in the United States, and as a result there are greater pools for resources and community support. As homeschooling becomes more mainstream, option for parents have increased, and since homeschooling is completely customizable by nature, it is a great solution for many families whose children do not quite fit into the traditional educational system.
At TheraThrive, we get the challenges of meeting a gifted child’s academic needs, and we have over a decade of homeschooling experience to support you with homeschooling your amazing child. We understand that being in charge of your child’s education can be daunting to think about, yet we also know that there is an active and supportive homeschooling community filled with dedicated and caring parents, likely including more like-minded peers than your child may have experienced in a typical school setting.
Let us help you to:
- Determine if homeschooling is a right choice for your family
- Explore the many homeschool options available
- Get started with homeschooling, including support with the required documents
- Prepare for college, including transcript support
- Explain homeschooling to your family
- Return to traditional school after homeschooling
- Manage homeschool while working full-time (or part-time)
- Understand how your child’s giftedness (and/or high sensitivity and/or sensory issues, such as SPD) may impact your educational decisions
- Learn how to meet your child’s social and emotional needs while homeschooling
- Manage anxiety, ADD/ADHD or other diagnses (such as anxiety or depression) while homeschooling
- Get the support you need, because homeschooling can sometimes be both exhilarating and challenging for parents